Ask a life coach
How to Think Positive
Tips from a life coach:
Positive thinking is not always as easy as it sounds. I'm a life coach and I'll admit I too fall trap to negative thinking at times. Heck, I'm not perfect but I will always try my best to think positive, even when it's really hard to do. It's common for all of us, especially since our brain, is already programmed to have certain negative stories or thoughts based on what we've told it in the past. For example: "I'm not good enough" is an example of a negative thought you might have that's getting in your way of feeling confident in who you are. As a life & career coach, I work every day to walk the talk and think positively. I'm also human so some days negative thoughts can prevail. If you have negative thoughts, don't judge yourself, think of it as an opportunity to retrain your brain and make it work better for you!
Here are my life coach tips for how to think positive:
1. Rule of Thumb: You always have a choice. Sometimes we feel discouraged or helpless which perpetuates negative thinking. Instead of going in a downward spiral of shame or upset, consciously ask yourself "How do I want to respond and feel?" We can choose our response, take responsibility for your choices!
2. Surround yourself with things that bring you joy! This is a catch-all and relates to everything from whom you surround yourself with to what type of negative memories you have held on to. My life coach tip: If someone or something doesn't bring you joy, give yourself permission to let it go.
3. Volunteer. Give back to your community or an organization you feel deeply about. When we're able to help out we feel more connected to the community which gives us a greater self-worth and grounding perspective to give us gratitude.
4. Be mindful of your language. Use empowering words and phrases instead of energy-draining or action stopping words. Use "I want to" versus "I should" or "I can" versus "I can't". I advise my life coaching clients to create a list of phrases you say that kill your confidence and drain your energy.
5. Practice forgiveness. Forgive yourself for any mistakes you may have made along the way and trust that you were doing the best you could give your tools and experience at the time. Learn from the mistake and use it to grow in your future. Also, practice forgiving others and free yourself from the mental control a situation or individual has over you.
6. SMILE! Smiling is contagious and it creates happiness within us. SMILE SMILE SMILE & LAUGH!