Ask A Career Coach:
How to find a job
Job hunting can be one of the most stressful experiences we have. As a career coach for young professional women, getting a job and changing careers are common goals I work on with my Millennial clients. My trick to make it more fun is to think of it like dating. When we date we want to find someone that loves us for who we are, where we feel fulfilled and happy and we can see a future together. We essentially want the same things in a career, we want one that challenges us and aligns with our passions, we want to grow with a company, and we want a job to highlight our strengths.
Here are my career coach tips for finding a job:
1. Start by creating a list of what you love doing that makes your work day fly by, use this to narrow down job postings
2. Reach out to companies you admire, tell them what you like about them and let them know you're interested in working for them
3. Choose your top five jobs. Instead of sending your resume to every job on the planet, focus on a few that excite you and personally tailor your resume and cover letter to each job. Once completed, repeat the process with the next five jobs.
4. Volunteer. If you don't have relevant work experience, find opportunities to volunteer or intern in the industry you're interested in.
5. Create a linked in profile (if you don't have one yet).
6. Attend at least two networking events. If you're looking to change industries find a networking group in the industry you're interested in. Networking and connecting with someone in the company you're interested in is the best connection you can get!
7. Prepare! Once you've landed the interview get to know as much about the company as you can. Identify how you can see yourself growing with the company.
8. Look for up and coming industries. It may mean a smaller company but there can be a huge opportunity for growth and challenge.
9. Stay positive. Yes it's frustrating but trust that you will find the perfect job. Don't be afraid to take a temporary job until you find the perfect fit.
(find a job via social media)
wANT MORE TIPS AND TRICKS? cLICK BELOW!